View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 09:31 AM   #254
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Eodwine

After Eodwine had made the acquaintances of elf, old man and young man, he excused himself for food and drink. How had the day already worn to noontime? Apparently, his report at Meduseld had taken longer than he had thought!

He was served porridge and good East Emnet Ale, and made quick work of both. Ready to ask for seconds, he noticed a young man come in from an inside door, from the guest rooms, which Eodwine knew from memory. The man sat down at a corner table and enjoyed his meal in silence. Eodwine let the man finish and was about to go and offer greeting when he he overheard the man's conversation with Aylwen.

The man's name was Korik and he could play the flute! The flute was a Gondorian musical instrument known mostly among the nobility, a rather fancy piece of equipment held to the side. Eodwine was more familiar with the wood pipe and other such countrified instruments, played out in front. He walked over to the man named Korik.

"I greet you, Korik. I am Master Eodwine of the Gap." Eodwine offered his hand.

Korik stood and amiably returned his hand and greeting.

"Pardon me for eavesdropping, but I overheard that you play the flute. I play the lyre. Perhaps we could match tune to tune at whiles this day."