View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
My first post was a summary of the points this chapter contains; now I’d like to add some very personal comments on one aspect that I’ve been thinking about – walking and happiness. No, I’m not adding a seventh point to Bassham’s list, but it occurs to me that several of these points are involved in what is not only my favorite exercise, but also a major part of LotR. After all, The Fellowship is also called the ‘Nine Walkers’! (I fully realize that what I write can apply to other forms of outdoor exercise as well, though it seems to me that running, biking, and riding don’t leave enough time for seeing the little things by the wayside.)

One way of adding happiness to my life is by walking. We all know about the hormones that are produced to make us feel better when we exercise, but there’s more to it than that. Walking is one of the simple pleasures; it takes no special equipment, costs next to nothing, and can be done almost everywhere. Do we stop to realize how fortunate we are to be able to walk? There are several people around me with mobility problems, which makes me thankful for my healthy body. And thankfulness certainly adds to happiness.

The most important aspects for me are those involving pleasure in seeing the small, simple things, discovering beauty around me and realizing the wonder of it. Most of the moments of wonder in LotR take place out of doors, seeing flowers, trees, stars, and more. Yes, seeing man-made beauty can bring a sense of wonder as well – a nicely built house, beautiful work of art or astonishing bridge construction, for example. Still, most of my experiences of wonder happen outside: the shape of tiny leaves outlined by frost, glittering in the early sunlight before the crystals melt; the vivid colors of sunrise or sunset; stars and planets (yes, and the man-made International Space Station when it passes overhead) lighting the dark sky; the fresh green of buds and the miracle of blossoms growing out of bare branches… I could go on, but I’d probably have to remind myself that I’d be getting off-topic!

Perhaps this awareness of the world around me can add the aspect of ‘making light of my troubles’ as well, since it helps me to look beyond myself. Walking with a dog does encourage conversation with others, thus ‘getting personal’ too. Does it also cultivate good character? Perhaps, since I sometimes have to overcome initial laziness and stick to what I want to do even if I don’t feel like it at the moment.

Walking in the steps of the Fellowship (I joined the ‘Walk to Rivendell’ last year and am still going strong) adds to the fun, connecting me with Tolkien’s story and other fans. Yes, walking and happiness definitely belong together for me!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote