View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
And my Morgoth would be handsome, even if in a rough way - the evillest people are often also the most strikingly good-looking, at least that's how I like to imagine them. You don't have to be an orcish insect-faced giant to be described as terrible, it's enough if your bearing is arrogant and haughty; and that can be achieved with proper facial expressions instead of giving Morgoth horns and tentacles and whatnot.
I like that idea. Maybe he shouldn't be handsome (although I would enjoy seeing someone like Christian Bale play Morgoth in Silmarillion The Movie) but at least he should be human-like, not some monstrous horned freak no...

As for his size I totally agree with Morm. Morgoth is big and tall yes but certainly not like a three story building. I mean, if you look at the actual text you see that despite the dramatic phrasing that emphasises Fingolfin's heroism against all the odds, the two combatants seem to be roughly the same size. Yes, Morgoth is bigger and more imposing, but not that much bigger.

For example: when Fingolfin grows weary trice Morgoth presses him down to the ground shield to shield, and each time Fingolfin gets up again.

Imagine fighting a man say half your height and a quarter of your weight. Why on earth would you have any need to do that then? And if you did nevertheless, how could that tiny man get up again? The answer is, he couldn't.

Also, Morgoth kills Fingolfin by stepping on the High King's neck. The neck, and not the head or upper body mind you. If Morgoth were huge, like 10 metres tall, his feet would be huge too and he could have squished the whole Elf under his boot like a bug.

So, in conclusion, Morgoth is not taller than say two and a half metres or at the very most three metres (for you metrically challenged people, that's 8-9 feet).

Would love to go on speculating about Morgoth's appearance but no time for that now.