View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
one of the biggest disappointments for me in Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit was the missed opportunity in not properly using the humour in the book, including the black humour.
I really think this can't be stated enough. In many ways The Hobbit is a very funny book, although I believe Professor Tolkien came to think the narrative voice was somewhat condescending.

To essentially repeat myself in early 2013:
Quote:
As soon a the door was opened, he pushed inside, just as if he had been expected.
He hung his hooded cloak on the nearest peg, and "Dwalin at your service!" he said with a low bow.
"Bilbo Baggins at yours!" said the hobbit, too surprised to ask any questions for the moment. When the silence that followed had become uncomfortable, he added: "I am just about to take tea; pray come and have some with me." A little stiff perhaps, but he meant it kindly. And what would you do, if an uninvited dwarf came and hung his things up in your hall without a word of explanation?
This would have been a perfect filmic moment for comedy, Bilbo and Dwalin hovering awkwardly in the hall, neither of them entirely sure what was going on. They even had Martin Freeman, the typecast king of comic bemusement. As I've said before, I think someone on the production team with British comedy experience could have really brought these aspects to the fore.

Last edited by Zigūr; 05-14-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Zigūr is offline   Reply With Quote