View Single Post
Old 01-10-2003, 12:08 PM   #7
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I think that the whole Ruin of Doriath mess may be profitably boiled down to two fundamental problems:

1. The conflict between "The Wanderings of Hurin" and all previous narratives; particularly, the point of transition from 'Wanderings' as the latest text to the 'Quenta' as the latest text (I believe CRT refers to this as a 'chasm' or some such). Tied into this problem is the whole section from Hurin in Nargothrond to Hurin in Doriath (the unwritten sections of 'Wanderings'). Christopher's solution was to more or less abandon 'Wanderings' and to rewrite the Q30 version. My inclination here is rather to keep 'Wanderings' and to adjust the Q30 and QS77 to fit, though of course that's much easier said than done.

2. The problem of the invasion of Doriath. As JRRT noted, but, infuriatingly, did not solve, a hostile army cannot invade Doriath as long as the Girdle of Melian is in place. The only indication from JRRT is that it must be contrived that Thingol at some point leaves Doriath and is slain. Christopher decided that this was an unworkable projected revision, and made up his own story. But the story that he invented elegantly and completely solves the problem. There is a good case for using his story (and it is allowed by our principles, if we deem all extant versions by JRRT unworkable).

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Aiwendil ]
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote