View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #298
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Dúlrain

As Kaldir drew his last breath, Dúlrain witnessed a peacefulness settle over his brothers disfigured features. A sad smile mixed with a sense of loss and the warmth of knowledge that his brother was now finally free of his torment settled over the young ranger. “Go now brother and let your spirit be guided to the halls of Ilúvatar, were the peace denied you in this life now awaits. We will met again and in those great halls we will be brothers once more! but till then rest easy I shall honour and protect all that you held dear in this life.” and as he bowed his head his eye caught a small silvery glint from his brothers hand, the hand that he had tried to press unto him during his last breaths. Slowly he uncurl the stiff fingers of his brothers hand and freed the fine silver chain, the tiny medallions sparkled in the afternoon light as he held them up.

“Benia!” he whispered Kaldir’s words coming back to him. “Thank you brother.” he smiled, as he carefully slipped the fine chain into his pocket, turning he instinctively put out his hand to retrieve his own sword but stopped, the dark red of Kaldir’s blood still glistened on it’s blade and although he knew that he had giving his brother the peace that was so long denied him, he could not bring himself to take it up. Instead he stood leaving the sword were it lay and looked down at the ancient weapon that still hung at his side drawing the blade he looked at the Quenya inscription which loosely translated read To Protect and Serve! and so it shall once more he thought believing that it only fitting that those who held Benia would find justice by the sword of Kaldir’s true heritage.

He was just about to slip the sword back into it’s sheath when he heard a rustle in the bushes behind him, quickly he turned the blade before him, to see the stunned look of two hobbits. With a sigh of relief he lowered his blade, “Mrs Banks, Mr Longholes you should never sneak up on a ranger so!” he said as he slipped the blade into it’s sheath. But the hobbits did not register his words and as he again looked up he saw that Gilly now looked past him, her dark brown eyes wide with horror and grief as she looked upon the blood soaked bodies on the ground.

Moved by her grief Dúlrain knelt down before her and as he took both her hands she looked at him her tear filled eyes gazing at him questioningly. “He is at peace now!” he gently assured her “They both are!”

“But how did this… happen?” she quivered shakily, struggling to understand.

“How no longer matters,” he sighed heavily turning his eyes to the still form of his brother, “just know that he died honourably and is now at peace, a peace that we both know has been long denied him in life.” he finished his tear streaked eyes meeting Gilly’s in silent understanding.

They both nodded and he rose again to his feet, “We must hurry Naiore has Benia!” he said turning to retrieve Dir.

“What!” Gilly and Toby gasped in unisons, shaken violently from the silent numbing ness of their shock and grief.

“Before Kaldir died he told me that Naiore had Benia and that they were heading for the Gladden fields on the other side of the Mountains,“ he told them as he unbuckled his pack from Dir‘s saddle. “But we should hurry if Naiore should find out that Kaldir is dead she might just deem that Benia has out lived her usefulness and I can’t let that happen!” he continued as he pulled two spare cloaks from his pack.

“You mean us to come with you?” Toby asked anxiously.

Dúlrain looked up but his gaze fixed on Gilly and the sword strapped to her back, “You mean to follow even if I did not invite you, do you not?” he asked meaningfully. Gilly nodded, “Yes I believe I would, what kind of friend would I be if I did not?” Dúlrain nodded his understanding then turned to Toby, “And what of you Master Longholes do you mean to continue with this new leaf you have turned?” Toby glanced at Gilly then turning back to Dúlrain he nodded, “I owe Mrs banks a debt and I mean to repay it by keeping her safe till we return to the Shire!” he said determinedly

“Very well then we should hurry!” Dúlrain told them as he re-buckling his pack.

“But what about them! we can not just leave them here for the scavengers!” Gilly exclaimed looking back at the bodies of her friends.

“No we can not!” Dúlrain said as he came up behind her his hand resting comfortingly on her shoulder, “Dir will bare them both back to Rivendell were the elves will afford them a proper and fitting burial.” he handed her one of the cloaks, “We have no shrouds so these will have to do, say your goodbyes Quickly Mrs Banks for Benia still needs our help,” he whispered gently as he beckoned Toby to help him with Rauthain, So that the Hobbit woman could have a final moment alone with the bounty hunter she called friend.