View Single Post
Old 03-09-2001, 08:48 PM   #14
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
yea

I think Morgoth , the Valar and in a lesser measure the Eldar could see or maybe feel events and people that were happening far away.
Morgoth did not see Gondolin for a few [hypothetical] possible reasons:
-limitations of Osanwe / 'viewing' through stone [as in the case of the palantiri]
-a protective illusion or mist [as in Tuor's cloak] given by Ulmo to it and Nargothrond.
-To search mountain ranges w/ this manner of sight may have been like a needle in a haystack - especially as he long assumed Godolin was in the South.
- fate/the will of Eru

As a related aside the Palantiri were [imo] a crystallisation [no pun intended] of this ability, probably I would guess, Feanor's level of skill transfered [as the light of the light of the Tree's was]to Noldorin gem work [silima or otherwise].
This ability however took specific intent and awareness, such as Sauron extendinghis will over his armies and then turning his attention to the ringbearers and Mt. Doom,the distraction thus leaving his armies willless, for the moent. Osanwe Kenta and viewing work in this way , as I understand it.
For numerous other examples of 'viewing' see the Osanwe Kenta thread in the books.
I will try and post more excerpts from the essay of JRRT's soon.

lindil

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote