View Single Post
Old 06-06-2003, 06:59 PM   #101
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lara saw the Orcs come towards them with a sickening sense of doom. It seemed that she would be going to meet Ered soon enough. With a sigh she turned to Georelelia.
"We have to get the children out. There may be no other way than to stall the monsters by fighting them"
Georelelia nodded slowly.
"I think you're right" she finally replied softly. Lara thought she could see tears glimmering in her eyes as they were in her own.
"I think Emilia could take care of them" Georelelia said in a wobbly voice, then went to organise the children.

Lara turned to the other women.
"It seems like the end for us" she said carefully, trying to avoid her voice breaking. "but we can keep our children safe if we try. There are plenty of rocks around here. If we hurry we will be ready for them by the time they climb the hill."
Resignation appeared on most faces as Lara gazed at them. She felt the lump in her throat grow.

"We need to say goodbye quickly" she whispered, kissing Laila's head. The baby gurgled happily and tangled a finger in Lara's hair.
"I love you" she whispered into her scalp. "I love you and your father loved you. Everything is for you. Have a long, happy life and one day I will see you again."
She hadn't noticed that she was crying but now the tears splashed onto her cheeks. All around she could see mothers saying goodbye, hugging toddlers, explaining to tearful older children. She didn't want to break the scene up but knew it was necessary.

With the sensation of tearing out her own heart she walked over to Georelelia and her children. Slowly she put Laila into Emilia's arms.
"Take care of my baby" she whispered, then turned away. She determined not to look back, and instead glanced at Georelelia. The woman nodded with tearstained cheeks.

"It is time. The children must leave. We must be ready if there is to be any hope."
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link