View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
By the way I found this interesting commentary from Patrick Wynne, member of the linguistic editorial team currently publishing 'new' linguistic material from the Tolkien Estate. He noted on the Lambengolmor list (below lifted from two separate posts):

Quote:
'(...) despite the fact that many these names are readily translatable (e.g. _Manwendil_, _Aulendil_, _Oromendil_) and present unique linguistic information (e.g. the name _Vardilme_ (Tar-Amandil's sister) evidently provides the feminine form of the common masculine ending _-(n)dil)_, and means *'Devoted to Varda').

Subject: Forgotten Words of Elvish: _Axantur_

'(...) The _Etymologies_ does give abstract _nilme_ 'friendship' as a derivative of NIL-, (N)DIL- 'friend', and this _could_ be present in an otherwise unattested suffixed form *_-(n)dilme_ in _Vardilme_, which would then mean *'Friendship of Varda'. If so, then _Isilme_ and _Vardilme_ would both share the abstract ending _-me_, though beyond that there would be no connection in _meaning_. However, I think it more likely that _-me_ in _Vardilme_ is instead the feminine equivalent of agentive _-mo_, seen in such names as _Ulmo_ 'The Pourer, The Rainer' (S:352) and _Irmo_ 'Desirer' (S:336).

Also cp. (masc.) _nilmo_ 'friend' < (N)DIL- in the _Etymologies_. On the basis of Tolkien's later gloss of (N)DIL as 'to love, be devoted to' (L:386), _-dilme_ is probably *'she who loves, she who is devoted (to)', hence my proposed gloss of _Vardilme_ as *'Devoted to Varda'. -- PHW]

Subject: _Isilme_ & _Vardilme_
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/lambengolmor/

So maybe that's what I was remembering; although I still think maybe something newer here appears in PE17. Anyway we might have a feminine form attested in this one case, taking into consideration that Etymologies (in any event) is a somewhat early-ish document.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote