View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #123
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Okay first the easy matter: As we have made up our rules the decission about Ulmo asking Turgon to go to war is done. Since we already observed in the first discussion that it might be the saver way to let this element out, we are at least on the save side.

For me it seems that we have with this setteled down all points brought up by Aiwendil.

Now to the more arcane matter of the nice Vinyar Tengwar sentence: As much as I agree with Gondowe that it would be nice to include that reflection on the treason of the Easterlings, I think that the actual act of introduction might be impossibly difficult under our rules. I have VT 50 at home but not at hand in the moment. I did not yet read it, but will do (at least in part) this evening. I hope that I find some more material to work with, but if it is only that blanc sentence we have, then our editing would have to be very free, like this:
Quote:
... There she would have perished, but the Grey-elves came to her aid. For there was a dwelling of this people in the mountains westward of Lake Mithrim; and thither they led her, and she was there delivered of a son before the end of the Year of Lamentation.
And Rían said to the Elves: ‘Let him be called Tuor, for that name his father chose, ere war came between us. And I beg of you to foster him, and to keep him hidden in your care; for I forebode that great good, for Elves and Men, shall come from him. But I must go in search of Huor, my lord.’
Then the Elves pitied her; but one Annael, who alone of all that went to war from that people had returned from the Nirnaeth,FG-TCG-00.2 <VT 50 /told her what he did know about that battle. So he revaled the treason of the Easterlings./ And said Rían to Tuor: 'What{what} have we done? Now all the hands of the dwarves and of the Elves will be opposed to us.'/
And at the end Annael/ said to her: ‘Alas, lady, it is known now that Huor fell at the side of Húrin his brother; and he lies, I deem, in the great hill of slain that the Orcs have raised upon the field of battle.’
Therefore Rían arose and left the dwelling of the Elves, ...
I suppose the sentence is realy in some mode of elvish script and probably in one of the earlier elvish lenguages as well. So we might consider to enter it in this form and provide a translation.
I will come back on this matter as soon as I have VT 50 in hand.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote