View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
In what sense can Sauron (or any other character, for that matter) be said to express, personify, correspond to any part or aspect of Frodo? Did Frodo have a little Dark Lord in a hidden corner of his soul - a potential Sauron which the Ring fed?~Pitchwife
Well, Frodo does claim the ring for himself in Mount Doom, that would seem to be a personification of Sauron:
Quote:
"I have come," he said. "But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not not do this deed. The Ring is mine!"~Mount Doom
"I do not choose now," is curious word use by Frodo. When Frodo made his claim to the Ring, was it by his own will, or was his will overcome by the One? I think if Frodo has been taken under control of the One, than Donaldson's point that Sauron personifies a part of Frodo is looking weak.

However, I would like to point in Bag End, right after Frodo could not throw the Ring into his fire:
Quote:
"I do really wish to destroy it!" said Frodo. "Or, well, to have it destroyed..."~The Shadow of the Past
More interesting word choice from Frodo, first he says he really does want to destroy it, but then he weakens his original statement, but merely saying "to have it destroyed."

Then we have in Tolkien's letter to Milton Waldman:
Quote:
"...it was beyond the strength of any will (even his own) to injure it, cast it away, or neglect it. So he thought."
Now this certainly seems to suggest that everyone's will (whether they desired to be little Dark Lords or not) would have succumbed to the Ring. But, I think the other question is, is it because the Ring is just that powerful, or does everyone's will have a bit of Sauron in it? As there is also the interesting addition that the Ring was beyond Sauron's will to destroy too!