View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallanite View Post
Black squirrels alone are seen, which is not untypical of a forest where squirrels will be the most visible animals. No hint of danger is associated with the black squirrels, other than the implication that their black coloration is a result of the sinister magic of the forest. This linking of black coloration with sinister magic somewhat fails for readers who live in areas where black squirrels are common, notably in my native Toronto.

Black squirrels dwell in mass throughout the city and very seldom cause any problems. They are friendly and cheeky and easily persuaded to eat from one’s hand, but if left alone mostly ignore and avoid people.
As a small bit of personal experience, the black squirrels of Mirkwood have always been an interesting snippet to me. I attended college in an area that had black squirrels brought into the environment. And years later, most brown squirrels were gone, it is now dominated by black squirrels. Which led to area legends about the black squirrels being aggressive, violent cannibals. All complete fantasy of course, but the black squirrel became the college's unofficial mascot and the legends on them are, well, legendary.

Slightly more relevant comments later.