View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #46
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
After hearing Wenda’s words regarding the unwight and as Maranwe had moved to listen to a tall grey-clad stranger who spoke of elves and battles gone by, Arato had slipped into thoughtful contemplation. The young woman’s words had troubled him as he was reminded of the same sense of some evil he had felt the previous night in the woodland just above the sleepy village, but as he chewed on the tip if his pipe, idly watching the flames lick hungrily at the Yule log, he reminded himself that whatever it was had not been as deathly silent as the unwight Wenda had described, no it had whispered of evil intent and tried hard to disguise it’s raspy hiss against the wind. His Gaze shifted momentarily to the shuttered window’s as they again rattled in response to the harsh winter winds outside.

The journey had been long, he was tired and near exhaustion in mind as well as body. He admitted as much to himself, although reluctantly, as he turned back to the fire. Perhaps in chasing shadows as long as he had he now expected them at every turn and was now seeing them where there were none to be seen, but there was no denying that wherever he went trouble seemed to find him. He seemed to drew them like moths to a flame, it was his curse and as yet he had allowed himself no rest from insuring that such creatures where returned to the void. It was a simple choice really them or him and like most he valued life especially his own.

Mara was right whatever it was, if indeed it was anything more than the harsh wind‘s call, it could wait and if it became over bold and looked for trouble he would be right here waiting to oblige! With an assured grin of satisfaction , he relit his piped and turned back to see what new tales where being recounted.

As it was he had rejoined the group as a new stranger was recounting to the dwarf a tale his uncle had once recounted to him, Arato listened with interest and even allowed himself to grin with mild amusement at the clever cunning of the fox . Not only had it managed to barter it’s freedom with it’s knowledge but also sought away of ridding itself of it’s pursuers possible for good. “A foe not to be taken lightly” he chuckled to himself. But his mood again grew sombre as the story turned the way he knew it must with death. He could fight monsters and vanquish demons, but the subtle evils that Melkor left behind to tempt and corrupted the hearts of all races he could not prevent. Each have to face that demon alone and only the strong of heart and mind can resist such manipulations, in the end greed had been their undoing.

‘You said you might be leaving tomorrow, Master Andrail. I was thinking of heading out then, myself.’ He paused and took a drink, collecting his thoughts. 'I was going northward, but the news I’ve heard of doings there makes me think I ought to take another direction. If you don’t mind my asking, will you be heading back south? Or west, perhaps? And if so, would you like a travelling companion? I’m a fair fighter with my axe. And two to keep watch at night would give more sleep. But think it over, think it over. I don’t mean to pressure you . . . naught but an offer on my part.’ the Dwarf was saying to his companion as Arato again resurfaced from his thoughts.

“If it’s west you go I’d be wary of the Mirkwood, elves protect those woods and a dwarf and his axe might not be too welcome,” Arato warned taking in the dwarves fine blade. “I’d keep to the road if I were you and tarry not. It is also said that dark things have made their home in the southern eaves of the forest, In fact this very morning I heard a chilling tale,|” he pause removing his pipe and taking a draw of his mead, both to wet his throat and to ensure he had the attention of both men and anyone else who wished to listen, then he began.

‘Three companions disturbed by news of strange disappearances in southern Mirkwood, decided perhaps a little too foolhardy to go and see for themselves what was going on. They searched for days and days for signs of those said to have gone missing but found nothing and were beginning to think nothing that had happened to them and that the missing had simply gone off wandering without telling anyone, or perhaps even decided to seek out new havens and didn’t know how to say good bye.

But sanding in a small clearing one of them suddenly noticed that the sway of the tree’s was moving against the wind and not with it. Unnerved by this and realising that something was not quite right they began to cautiously back out of the clearing, their eyes searching carefully for what could be causing such a strange phenomena to occur.

That’s when it began, a click, click, clicking sound , quietly at first, but growing louder and louder as it came closer and closer, quickly it came causing the third companion to panic and run off in fright straight into a huge sticky silvery web that hung between two tall trees, it held him fast and the more he struggled the more entangled he became . Quickly The second companion attempted to calm him down and cut him free, while the first companion kept watch just out of sight. His hands trembling as he knocked an arrow in his bow and listened fearfully as the clicking grew closer and closer. Then suddenly stopped, he looked around his heart beating fast as he expected an attack at any moment, but it didn’t come.

“I think it’s gone!” he cried back to his friends after a while.

“Let‘s hope so!” the second called back, as the third finally fell free from the sticky trap. “Right he’s free lets get out of here!” the second called back, but her words were lost to a blood curdling scream that they both recognised at once. They both rushed to the spot where their friend had stood watch, but there was no sign of him, both he and the clicking sound had vanished .

Off course they searched for him but found nothing but more webs and the bones of unfortunate souls who had been caught in the traps and been unable to free themselves. Then with the coming of night the clicking return and fearful the two companions fled to tell others of what they had seen and to warn them if they could.

“So from them I warn you be wary of the Mirkwoods!” he whispered leaning in close for emphasis and if he was honest to gain a little dramatic effect.

Off course the story was an adaptation of the news Mara had brought and she would no doubt pull him up on it later, but if it cautioned at least these two be wary, when travelling through the woods what harm was in it and if he was lucky these two would carry the warning to others with half an ear to listen.