Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq07
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
LotR2-TTT-Seq07

But what about these Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back."

Painfully we walk through Fangorn, along with Merry and Pippin on their perches on Treebeard, and I can only think of skipping to the next scene. Surely the hobbits are tired and bored not only by their recent ordeal but also by their transportation’s speech. Did we have to be bored to see that the hobbits were bored? And just why did Gandalf let Merry and Pippin in the keeping of Treebeard? In the books I think that the White Wizard is aware of this, but I don’t think that he and Treebeard sat down and discussed what to do with the hobbits.

The change not only adds logic dilemmas; I just don’t like it.

Plus, the eldest of Ents is not CG - a big puppet - but he’s not very lifelike or likeable, and so that also colors my opinion.

Treebeard places the overtired hobbits on the ground to sleep like little dolls while he quotes Tom Bombadil. Is PJ bribing us with hints of Bombadil so that we more readily accept his coming changes? Anyway, while the twain sleep, Treebeard goes off to call the other Ents together. What’s the rush, big guy, as you all don’t have it in you to act, and seemingly you really don’t care much about the Shadow on your forest. Even if the rest of the cordwood won’t join you, surely you’d do something, even if alone, if faced with the withering of all woods, especially those that you shepherd.

I guess that I’m upset that PJ’s Treebeard is all bark.

It’s night camp somewhere in Rohan. Gandalf, ever vigilant, stands watch on Mount Doom from afar, and we learn a bit about the Eye that is Sauron. We learn that Sauron not only fears that someone will claim his Ring, but also, now that Aragorn was left his booth in Bree, the Heir of Isildur and what he may become.

“Must keep him from claiming the Ring and especially from swimming in the Gladden River! I’ve waited long enough.”

Suddenly, Gandalf becomes one of those legal voices at the end of commercials and so rattles off the next part of their journey in a matter of seconds. We’ll need the extra time for more clowning with Gimli, and so Ian must hurry his lines.

And what Gandalf mean when he says, “it’s an old device of Saruman’s.” at time 01:01:33?

Gandalf continues on, stating that all of this is window dressing, that the real war against the enemy is on the hands of one small hobbit. The wizard is pleased to learn that Sam is along with Frodo. Gandalf, here at least, is filling Aragorn in on the state of Middle Earth and reassuring him that his decision at Parth Galen was the right one. We’ll see this dynamic switch later, though.

Isn’t about time that we checked in on the Ringbearer?