View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #119
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tar-Jêx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post

You do see fandoms around book series like Twilight and The Hunger Games, but those seem more like purpose-designed commercial products rather than enduring works of literature. It's just hard to see a future in which books hold their own against high-tech, instant gratification entertainment.
I have kept myself out of pop-culture, but it seems like books are being used being used to make money, rather than to be amazing. This is evident when considering fanfiction being turned into a book, and then a movie (50 Shades of Grey). This sort of mindless rubbish should never be written, because there are very few things a 'book' of that genre can do that visual representations can't.

I do despise these sort of things, where people do it to make money, rather than doing it out of personal enjoyment, or because they want to write high quality novels.

The Hobbit movies are already giving a bad representation of the book, and although people are buying the book, a lot of potential customers have been put of by the money-grab-ness of the movies. If the movies were better, and concise, the books would sell a lot more. I guess it just comes down to how the media is treating literature, and they aren't treating it respectfully.
Tar-Jêx is offline   Reply With Quote