View Single Post
Old 03-08-2003, 09:08 PM   #14
Marigold Hedgeworth
Pile O'Bones

Marigold Hedgeworth has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Will you look at this! My first BD post has been pulled back up! How exciting. I'm not Mįme anymore, for numerous reasons(OK, mostly 'cuz I didn't like the name), but this was me, back then.

I know that somewhere I have my theory on this subject scribbled out, and for some reason it didn't make it into the original post...I'm going to go look for it right now....

All right. I've scrabbled through piles of papers and looked through TTT, and I'm now ready to provide the only piece of evidence I can find that Frodo's blindness was related to the Nazgūl cry....and that would be this:

Quote:
There...was a coil of the silken-grey rope made by the folk of L rien. He cast an end to his master. The darkness seemed to lift from Frodo's eyes, or else his sight was returning. He could see the grey line as it came dangling down, and he thought it had a faint silver sheen.
Then later...

Quote:
Do you know, I thought for a bit I had lost my sight? From the lightning or something else worse. I could see nothing, nothing at all, until the grey rope came down. It seemed to shimmer somehow.
From this, I'm thinking that his blindness was at least partially related to the Nazgūl, since it almost appears to be the elven rope that brought his sight back. Since they elves are the only ones that can fight off the Nazgūl,(I think that's right -- someone correct me if I'm wrong.) it seems logical that something elvish would be able to..well..counteract something like this.

Thinking it over now, I'm rather inclined to think that it was partially the Nazgūl cry and partly just exhaustion on Frodo's part. The description is very similar to blacking out -- pounding heart, dizzy, blurred and/or momentarily lost vision.

Well, anyway, that's my new opinion, after having filed the subject away for six months or so. Thanks, Burzdol, for bringing this back up -- I doubt I'd have ever fleshed out my thoughts on it if you hadn't.

Mari

--G.K. Chesterton