View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Feanor was an Elf of genius, a great tragic hero, and possessed fine words. He had a correct anti-authoritarian instinct as well. But I can't quite forgive him for the impetuosity with which he destroyed the lives of his seven marvellous sons, many of whom were in their way as great as he. (I'd argue that Maedhros and Maglor were both greater, in fact. Whatever Tolkien says!)

Fingolfin is a stubborn, self-righteous usurper. He's excellent at cornering the moral highground, and striking noble postures; in the end, he was fortunate in finding such a good death. Any of the other great Noldorin princes, especially Maedhros, would have left just as impressive an account of themselves in that situation. What we tend to forget is that it was born of defeatism and despair.

Fingon...now there's a real High King. The breadth to see the need, repeatedly, for a united Noldorin front. Eventually he was to give his life for that unity. A death just as noble as his fathers, in a constructive battle not a duel that was more like a deathwish. A vanquisher of dragons. Faithful to his cousin Maedhros when all others turned away.

Turgon-another High King of at best debatable legitimacy. Wise policies and a relatively good judge of Elves, allowing Maeglin to show his quality despite his heritage. But rather manipulatory in his dealings with Hurin. Good king of Gondolin, but too isolationist to be an effective High King.

Gil-Galad-inherited the best of many of his ancestors. We tend to forget Gil-Galad's long reign in the Second Age before Dagorlad, but it was marked by wisdom, caution and discernment, as well as fine diplomacy. Another gallant death. Should have probably provided more effectively for a successor.

So in conclusion I vote Fingon-the greatest High King, though not quite the greatest hero of the Noldor.

Oh and Finwe? Never had to toil in the North and was pretty useless at the limited demands his task called for, completely screwing up his family for a nice Vanyar piece...