View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #77
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots I have come to praise Turgon, not to bury him!

Quote:
I am sorry but that is a reductive argument and it just isn't worth going there.
You started it (and I was being sarcastic).

Quote:
It is a fact that Turgon's Gondolin was doomed to fail.
This fact has nothing to do with whether or not Turgon did his best for his people or whether or not he was a tyrant.

Quote:
I find it interesting that he was bidden to build the place and keep it secret even though it would be destroyed along with everyone in the realm apart from a handful of survivors.
You forget that Tuor's errand was to tell Turgon that it was time to get out of town. This is when he made his prideful mistake. He was given a chance to get out.

Quote:
He approaches the situation incorrectly. His pride takes over and he 'decrees' an order to Eol, who is not one of his people.
Eol had more or less willingly entered Turgon's realm. That alone gave Turgon come claim over him. Besides, you can hardly condone murder, even if the culprit is a foreigner.

And, don't forget, Turgon was inclined to spare Eol until his silly sister died.

Quote:
I can't see it as a 'price' being exacted in that sense at all.
I have to disagree with this a little bit. I do think that the Curse was at work here and that it played a role in Turgon's death. However, Turgon was unique in that he was given the opportunity to potentially escape. Perhaps his willingness to ask mercy from the Valar was instrumental in Ulmo giving him this chance (although the escape warning was built into the Gondolin deal at the beginning).

Speaking of the message to the Valar, the mariners obviously left Gondolin.

Quote:
The fierce loyalty Turgon inspired shows that he was in no way considered unreasonable or unfair by his people.
Hear him! Hear him!