View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 11:43 AM   #117
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child began her conversation, "What did you think of that strange and ancient piece of art?"

Kali looked up and smiled, "Very, very old. This was kind of ship my mother said came from long ago." Then he fell silent.

"Kali," continued Child, "did your family pay special homage to Lord Ulmo? I had a feeling from the picture itself and how your face looks now that Ulmo must be special to you."

"Oh, yes, yes," the hobbrim continued, his voice filled with excitement. "Mother and Grandmother teach Kali stories about Ulmo. He is special friend to the hobbrim. Make our bodies good for swimming in the Sea."

"Do you remember any stories?" she continued.

"A few, only a few. Mother and Grandmother tell stories when I am little. Tell how water rise and only a little land left. Later, Ulmo come and tell us we must hide. Water good for hiding. Ulmo ask for brave hobbits who want to learn how to live in water."

He turned to her with pride in his face. "Hobbits who are Stoors already love water so we are brave. My family and others are Stoors. Water hide us and keep us safe."

Kali lowered his voice, "Some hobbits afraid of water but this silly. Even Elves sometimes wrong. They think only Fallohides go on adventures, but that not true. This time, Stoors brave and do what Ulmo say. Ulmo choose us special. Great Valar say we are chosen to do something important, but very far away in distant age."

Child asked quietly, "Where and when did this happen?"

Kali shook his head in response, "Do not remember, many years ago, before mother and grandmother born, very long ago."

"So you were all together, all the hobbits, and your particular family and friends who were Stoors said 'yes' when Ulmo came to make you special?" Child probed.

"No, it was not like that. Most hobbits already gone away but some left behind. Maybe four or five big families. We stay and meet Ulmo because we love the Sea."

Then Kali brightened, "I remember, Ulmo tell us to sail east, east into Bay of Belfalas. And he give big promise. He say some others will be like us someday! I, Kali, want to find others."

Child looked up startled at Kali's remark about a Valar asking living beings to sail towards the east. This was very strange. Why would Ulmo ask the hobrim to sail east? In every other tale she knew Elves and Men, were asked to go west towards the Light. And what was this about the promise of other hobbrim?

Before she could ask Kali the rest of her questions, at least some of the answers came pouring out of his mouth. "Ulmo say, for a little while, our families hide in shadows, nice shadows of the ocean, instead of coming into the Light. He say we go east because we wait for ship to come, ship with a single star. Ship important. Have something to do that is special. You, Child, your friends, bring this ship."

"Mother and Grandmother tell how our group of hobbrim got smaller and smaller over the years. They tell Kali he will be only one left. When Grandmother and Mother die, I am sad. Sad and alone. Before Mother die, she say to go find others. The stories will light my way."

"Kali brave because he must remember stories. Stories make hobbrim who we are. Other hobbits on land lose stories, but not Kali. Kali remember. And now I tell you stories, and you help me. Now you and your friends part of stories too. Now you chosen like me."

Calm and confident, Kali looked into Child's eyes with a sentiment that was surely kin to "estel".

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]