View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #20
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dūm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigūr View Post
Apart from Sam and Bombadil, isn't everyone who resists the Ring someone of High stature? I never said I was exclusively talking about Men. Gandalf, Galadriel and Faramir all had the wisdom to understand the Ring's corruption. The Ring took advantage of Boromir's 'Middle-ness': his warlike nature and enthusiasm for martial prowess. I'm not trying to argue that it's the only reason but I think it definitely plays a role. My point is that by the end of the Third Age in Gondor Men were of an increasingly Middling nature with the learning of the High, and that this was a source of inner tension. Faramir and Aragorn were both throwbacks to the day when people from High cultures were also of High stature. At least, I think there is a difference.
I would not say Bombadill is someone of low stature at all. Bilbo at the time he found the ring was certainly not as knowledgeable as he would become and I would say even Frodo only became knowledgeable after his suffering.

The ring takes advantage of everything. It's a question of character and not education.

You mention Galadriel, but she was as sorely tempted as anyone and had the trial been in her youth may have failed.

Denethor was just as much a throwback as Faramir. Saruman knew more about the ring than anyone and was head of the order. You can be High and reject the things the rings stands for or High and accept it much like Saruman and Denethor. The same way you can be a 'Middle Man' like Eomer and trust the judgement or fall like Boromir.

Morgoth was the greatest and mightiest of the Ainur, but he was the one too fall. Throughout the story and in the case of the ring being 'High' or 'Low' has not mattered.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote