View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dūm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Morsul The Dark
Quote:
when Reading TH for the first time I was amazed at how many "cakes" the dwarves ate because I pictured a cake as a birthday cake not a (as Im assuming was meant) a biscuit
I assumed that by 'cake' it ment something which was easy to pack, lasted long, and was generally usefull in that sense (I can picture it but not describe it, sorry...though I guess an american biscuit would be close...maybe more of a scone in terms of texture) I just kind of ruled out stuff like birthday cakes because it would be really crumbly and therefore not much use for traveling or anything as well as being rather a strange thing to eat on a regular basis...

Lalwendė
Quote:
I thought a biscuit in the US was something you poured gravy on (we pour it on chips, but then your chips aren't big chunky greasy yet strangely tasty things are they?....).
After much thought, and trying to sort out in my ever-confused-mind the american definition of 'biscuit' yes, american biscuits are something eaten with a meal (I'm used to eating them with soups and stews but one could easily pour gravy on them). As to the chip thing British Chips are like American French Fries (not thin little McDonalds ones, but thicker like steak fries...) and an American Chips are like British Crisps (though we've nothing nearly as cool as Walkers Crisps).

Morsul The Dark
Quote:
did anyone else due to dialects misinterpret something as funny or unusual?
I can't say that I ever have, I mean I probably have, I just can't think of it now. I do have to Thank You though Morsul the Dark, Now I'll forever have the image of the Dwarves sitting around eating birthday cake after birthday cake in my mind.