View Single Post
Old 03-03-2002, 02:08 AM   #19
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know...my first thought was "No! It's one of the best scenes in the book!" But what with Helm's Deep and the storming of Isengard there's an awful lot going on already; the scene with Shelob might just seem like piling on the action too much (Come on, you know Peter Jackson isn't going to be exactly glossing over the battle scenes ) - under those circumstances Shelob be more effective if saved for the last movie.<P>The really unfortunate thing is that ending the movie with Frodo being alive but taken by enemy would be an incredible emotional punch - sort of like the ending of "The Empire Strikes Back" times about 300. Sam would hear the Orcs saying that Frodo is alive, chase them, hurl himself against the gates too late - wham, end of movie. On the whole, I'm optimistic. Before FOTR came out I was feeling kind of dubious but ended up loving the movie - the changes just worked, somehow. With any luck that will hold true for the next two as well.