View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I'm not aware of a specific reference, I just go by Aragorn's (and Butterbur's) statements. Being characters in the story, they could be wrong, but they make sense...
I asked because William Cloud Hicklin said there was an explicit statement.

Quote:
However, I don't think it was the Nazgul that ripped up the beds because of Aragorn's point they aren't all there yet "and in any case that is not their way." Because they aren't all there yet to where they would attack a "house where there are lights and many people," not when they could drive Ferny and his men to some mischief.
I think the Nazgul were either there or right outside observing. That they had Ferny and company do most of the dirty work I do not doubt. But I do doubt that they would let Ferny, who they cannot have had much of a relationship with and would probably view as an unreliable character, have very much leash in getting his hands on the Ringbearer or even more importantly the Master's Precious.

Quote:
Also, there's Butterbur: "But spooks or no spooks, they won't get in The Pony so easy.' He already shut the door on the 2 that came to Bree on the 26th, so there's no reason to think he's blowing smoke by telling the hobbits they won't get into the Pony easily.
Well, somebody got into the Pony during the night without it being discovered until the next morning.

Quote:
I believe the attack on the pony, in combination with Ferny having the only horse available, was meant to try to delay their departure until all 9 could be gathered together and then the Nazgul could attack them in the open land.
I don't know that this delay would have served that purpose very well.

Did the Nazgul know about Aragorn (not in the who he actually was sense, but in the sense of being an experienced traveller and able to help the Ringbearer in the Wild, as he in fact did)?

If the Nazgul knew about Aragorn's presence in the Pony, or understood the significance of it then maybe I can see the point. But on the whole, I think the Nazgul would want the Ringbearer to get out into the middle of nowhere as quickly as possible.

I think the attack was a genuine attempt to get hold of the Ringbearer.