View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
There are, of course, many, many things I'd like to know more about, but I'll try to limit myself to naming a few of the bigger ones.

Like Corsair_caruso and Ivriniel, I would love to have to have more writings about the Numenoreans and, particularly, Numenor during the Second Age. I enjoyed 'Aldarion and Erendis' not only for the story itself but also for the unique window it provides into Numenorean life. I would love more stories set in and around Numenor.

Andsigil mentioned the Blue Wizards, and I'd certainly devour a trilogy about them as well. But the wizard who really fascinates me, for some reason, is Radagast (hence my name). I would really love to have more information about him and his activities.

It might sound odd to say that I'd like to know more about Sauron - I mean, after all, he's not exactly an obscure character - but I really would like to have more writings about Silmarillion-era Sauron, the cunning sorcerer, lord of werewolves, master of phantoms. What was Tol-in-Gaurhoth like, for example? What strange and terrible things went on in Taur-nu-Fuin after Sauron took up living there? For that matter, I wouldn't mind knowing more about his other 'Necromancer' phase, in Dol Guldur. I'd also like to know what Sauron was up to during the last years of the First Age, and whether he played any part in the Great Battle.

I'd like to know more about Eol - both about his origins and about his strange relationship with Aredhel. I wish Tolkien had made a clear decision on whether he was a kinsman of Thingol or a Tatyarin Avar.

I'd like to know more about the seven clans of Dwarves - even just knowing whether the Firebeards lived in Nogrod and the Broadbeams in Belegost or vice versa!

I'd also like to know more about the Druedain in the First Age. For that matter, about the people of Haleth in general. 'The Wanderings of Hurin' makes them an intriguing, proto-Democratic people, and there are hints of unusual gender equity.

The other night I had a wonderful dream that I was in a bookstore and happened upon The History of Middle-earth volumes XIII and XIV. If such books existed, those are some of the things I'd most hope to find in them.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote