View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 09:14 AM   #8
Aldarion Elf-Friend
Animated Skeleton

Aldarion Elf-Friend has just left Hobbiton.
The first thing that I noted when starting this chapter was that it is the last of the three multi-chapter "havens" in the first two books. We have three-chapter House of Bombadill, the two-chapter House of Elrond, and now the three-chapter Lothlorian. I don't recall there being much in the way of havens from here on out - maybe with Treebeard in Fangorn - certainly not for Frodo and Master Samwise.

Another thing that really stuck out to me in this chapter is the continuation of the "humanizing" of Legolas. Under Moria he displayed true fear for the first time, and here in Lorian, when confronted with the prospect of being blindfolded, he protests indignantly. I almost laughed out loud when I read that last night.

Finally, this chapter marks the final example of the contrast in Gimli's and Legolas' relationship. In this chapter they are still somewhat acrimonious ("But I will be content, if only Legolas here share my blindness") but in the next, Tolkein makes a point of mentioning the change after Celeborn and Galadrial show Gimli the same honor as the rest of the company.

I am glad to have finally caught up to everyone else. It looks like a wild ride with the good Professor.
Aldarion Elf-Friend is offline   Reply With Quote