View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 05:52 AM   #14
Lord Melkor
Haunting Spirit

Lord Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
It is possible I am reading too much into the contrast between Aragorn and Boromir, but I cannot help but think that Tolkien cleverly has each man act out very different qualities in the heroic ideal, even from the beginning. One is the hollow pretender who lacks substance while the other is tested and being found true. It is a very subtle depiction which contrasts the male boaster with the man of true worth. Vainglory versus true glory.
Although I'm loath to disagree with a respected poster such as Bethberry, I'm afraid you're being too harsh on poor Boromir. After all, we later find out that Boromir is highly respected by many outstanding people, including Faramir, Imrahil, Eomer and basically every Gondorian. Aragorn and Legolas too consider him to be a noble man (as evidenced by their eulogy in the Two Towers). In fact, Boromir is universally admired and respected by all who know him. I find it hard to believe that all those outstanding people would admire a man you classify as a 'hollow pretender who lacks substance' and a 'male boaster'. Of course Boromir will look weak compared to Aragorn, but Aragorn is a pretty high standard to hold a man to. And Aragorn comes off as pretty arrogant at times too and makes a couple of dodgy judgement calls at times, like charging the Balrog. It's good thing Gandalf ended it right then and there or both Boromir and Aragorn would've been toast. (pun intended, thank-you-very-much) .At least Boromir could defend himself by claiming to be ignorant of a Balrog's power. I'm afraid that Aragorn, having spend most of his life around Elves and well-known in Elven lore (as evidenced by his knowledge of the Lay of Leithian), didn't have that luxury and must therefore have made the conscious decision to suicide-charge a Balrog. Pretty dodgy judgement if you ask me, unless he felt he could take on a Balrog, in which case he would be the one with the dangerously inflated ego, not Boromir.

I also agree that Boromir doesn't possess the knowledge Aragorn does, and that his assessment of Lothlorien was at least incomplete. But Boromir was simply telling what he had been taught by the Gondorian loremasters, while Aragorn was tutored by the Elves of Rivendel. Boromir never had access to Elven knowledge and therefore had to rely on the faulty knowledge he had been supplied with. Therefore, while your assessment that Boromir's knowledge was limited is true, I disagree with the implied statement that this was somehow Boromir's fault. Indeed, Faramir also considers Lothlorien to be perilous as does Aragorn, though Aragorn refines Boromir's statement. Therefore Boromir's remark wasn't completely without merit, but simply needed refinement which Aragorn courteously provided.
Lord Melkor is offline   Reply With Quote