View Single Post
Old 05-24-2004, 06:52 PM   #403
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
White Tree Battle Plans

Well, I was all ready to post a nice housekeeping discussion entry, but my brain short-circuited and I managed to lose it. Never mind how.

Earendil, as far as posting for Devon goes, we're all supposed to be carrying his character along. Do you mean specifically to write from his point of view, leading into the duel? Or do you just want to make sure that he's included in the battle posts before you finish him off? If so, I'll make sure to at least do that; depending on what develops and when I get in on the battle I can have him trying to find Doran during the fight.

Two things that came up:

The Gondorians come in on the end of the battle and save the day, right? Well, I had a nice line of reasoning written out for how they're going to be at the right place at the right time, but I lost it. Here's what I remember:

* Telson sent a message to Faramir, way back on 12-21-03; in response, a Gondorian fleet, complete with troops, has arrived at and subdued Umbar.
* They figure out pretty quick where Doran has gone, and most of the fleet sets out and finishes off the corsairs.
* From prisoners, etc., they hear about the North Wind. Adding together pointers I'm not going to list, they figure out where to go and arrive on the island in the nick of time.

This is only a proposal. Any thoughts?

The other thing is, once more, the question of Who's Going To Last The Night. I assume you corsair players will handle your particular characters, as will Aman, Arvedui, and myself. We've already decided Devon's going to buy it, so here's the rest:

Avershire
Loliway
Sedal
Rilgari
Orda
Rakein

We must assume Avershire and Loliway are up for grabs, too, unless Maika comes back and says otherwise. Now, how serious is this battle, and what corresponding casualties should be inflict? Remember, the corsairs have real weapons and the Gondorians have few. I say, out of 10 Gondorians, we ought to have minimum 2 or 3 die; that means 1 or 2 out of that list (unless Aman, Arvedui, or myself volunteer for annihilation). Anyone have some ideas?

My only thoughts concern Sedal: With a couple broken ribs, he can either be immobilized and probably be unnoticed until the end, or he can insist on fighting when he sees what they're up against. I assume that, as a surgeon, he knows what he can handle - or that he can't handle it and has decided to be heroic.

Oh, and Orda has been pretty protective of him, so that may work into an out for the youngster. Poignant death scene, anyone? Or maybe it'll get too heavy with Devon going out in a blaze of glory.

And as far as my character goes, I'd really prefer it if he survived the game. I'm rather fond of him and may use him again; also, he's my first successfully played character. I'm not averse to him being wounded again, though. Anything short of the seriously crippling - like losing a leg or something - and I'm taking suggestions.

Not trying to slow the game down - anything but that, believe me! - but I would like to have a few things sorted out first. This is the last battle, and as such ought to be a little more scripted, to ensure that it makes sense and we don't lose our continuity. Please keep up the good work - I'd appreciate some feedback here.

Carrying on,
Nuranar