View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #49
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
For those who criticize the films for being too action oriented or playing up the violence at the expense of other more sublime parts of the tale.... I was reading LOTR just this morning , chapter THE GREAT RIVER. I noticed the events on day 8 upon the river where the company is attacked by orcs. Although I remember reading that Jackson filmed something like that it was not in the film in any edition. There is an example of Jackson playing down the violence and action in favor of creating a mood. Then there is the scene of Legolas firing his arrow high into the sky and downing a Nazgul on his steed. Jackson cut that bit of action and violence also.

For those who try to tar Jackson with the brush of being a thud and blunder action director who plays up the violence over more subtle parts of the story, thse two examples prove that it is not always so.

I reread the scene where we have the death of Boromir and noticed that JRRT describes him as pierced with many arrows. Jackson limits it to three. I guess you could argue that three could be the same as many but I got the image of the old St. Stephen paintings where he was nearly a human pin cushion. Then JRRT describes that around the dying Boromir lay many orcs piled about him. Makes me think of those 70 trolls in COH. A far more gruesome image than the one Jackson used in the film.

I would guess that there are other portions of the book where similar examples could be cited.

If you want the movies to be more like books does that include adding more violent action scenes like these?