View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Originally Elrond had not intended for Merry and Pippin to join the Fellowship, and was going to choose, if I remember correctly, two member of his own house. I would wager the two were going to be his sons, Elladan and Elrohir. The two had went ahead before the Fellowship left to scout out the route and who had later went with the Dunedain to Minas Tirith.

I doubt Glorfindel would have been one of the companions. Elrond and Gandalf's entire plan was based on a belief it was impossible to defeat Sauron through strength of arms. It was their rejection of the temptation for ultimate power (the Ring) and to place it all in a "fool's hope." Therefor, any chance for the plan's success relied on fate and secrecy. Elrond plainly said so after Frodo accepted the task:

Quote:
"If I understand aright all that I have heard...I think this task was appointed for you, Frodo; and that if you do not find a way, no one will. This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and the counsels of the great. Who of all the wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck?"~The Council of Elrond
One might question, if the quest hinged on secrecy, wouldn't Sauron notice a powerful Istari in the group? Sauron had figured Saruman out. Sauron knew best how to deal with Saruman because they were of similar mind. Gandalf was another matter though. Gandalf's thoughts had always alluded Sauron, and Gandalf was effective at keeping his true nature cloaked. He only reveals the extent of his true power in the battle with Durin's Bane.

Then when you consider Glorfindel, it's not just the fact "this powerful 1st age Noldor elf lord leaving Rivendell with others" would likely attract more attention. It has to be remembered it was Glorfindel who, in all his might and power drove the Nazgul into the flood. When the Nazgul return to Mordor to be given new mounts, I'm sure they would have reported the full encounter and circumstances of their drowning back to Sauron. If that same elf who was powerful enough to drive the 9 into the flood left with the company, might as well just put a huge "kick me" sign on their back.