View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #19
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
As you correctly pointed out, Saruman had only gone to the bad for a short time, while Sauron had behaved that way for millennia. By the time of the War of the Ring, the latter was so known for deception that he was called by Gandalf 'Base Master of Treachery'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
I found the quote I referred to above: "and it seemed to Manwe that his evil was cured. For he himself was free from the evil and could not comprehend it..." This is found at section 48 of the later Silmarillion.
This may be getting a little off-track, but could Gandalf be said to be "free from evil"? Whether he was or not, I don't think he was in any way deceived as to Saruman's potential for repentance. He seems to have offered Saruman the chance, simply because it was "right". Was he just following his Valar higher-ups, who gave a second chance to Ossë, Melkor, and Sauron?