View Single Post
Old 07-19-2004, 11:45 AM   #10
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Finally, what does it say about Aragorn that he swears an oath of service to Frodo : ' I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn; & if by life or death I can save you, I will' when he's only just met him?
Aragorn may have just met Frodo, but he had known of Frodo and his quest long before he met him. Gandalf had told Aragorn that Frodo would be coming that way with the Ring. Aragorn also knew the importance of Frodo's quest and the Nazgūl, and knew the dangers that Frodo faced better than Frodo himself. Aragorn knew that the Ring had to get to Rivendell - that the Nazgūl could not get it - or else it would be the utter ruin of the free peoples of Middle-earth. Aragorn understood that by protecting Frodo, he was in turn protecting the Ring from Sauron, and so he was ready to die to accomplish that. I don't think he needed to say it out loud, and that he would protect Frodo anyway, but he said it to reassure Frodo somewhat.

Interesting how he says "if I can save you, I will." At Parth Galen, Aragorn understands that he cannot help Frodo any longer. He could no longer do anything, and so is released from his oath.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote