View Single Post
Old 07-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #19
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
In neither case did Frodo officially accept Sam's oath, as Denethor did Pippin's and Theoden Merry's.
My feeling is that when Frodo says to Sam, in response to Sam's account of his conversation with the Elves:
Quote:
'I understand that Gandalf chose me a good companion. I am content. We will go together.
he is officially accepting Sam's oath. From that point Sam becomes 'servant', Frodo 'master'. I believe its an oathtaking - Sam offers his service to Frodo & Frodo acknowledges it.

But, I accept your point, that this question turns on the individual reader's interpretation of the episode. Clearly, though, given that we are dealing with hobbits who have known each other all their lives, I can't see that any 'oath' could be expressed any more formally. The master/servant relationship (referred to by the scribe in 'Of the Rings of Power', where it speaks of Frodo going into Mordor 'alone with his servant') implies a more formal relationship than simple friendship.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote