View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Eorl, sounds good! Just maybe for a few remarks (well, I assume that's not what you'd have expected anyway, but I hope it will be for good ).

Firstly, I wholeheartedly agree with your interpretation of the social status view-thing, and that resonates basically with the idea I had about Scyrr myself. And if you have such cultural background, it might be even better for sort of "getting into" Scyrr.

Maybe, however, the thing about speaking his mind openly - if I understood you right, you don't feel like you could write for such a character, but well, there are several ways to handle it while keeping it still consistent with the previous. The thing is that this was sort of one of Scyrr's trademarks, if not "THE" trademark. The occassion where it originally started from was that first brawl when the soldiers have arrived, and Áforglaed was hurt. What Scyrr saw was that the first to attack was the other guy, and therefore, by Scyrr's logic, he should have been punished. The fact that Áforglaed insulted him before was not taken into account. I sort of see the parallel to this in Scyrr's brawl with Erbrand. This could be explained by that in both cases the attackers were of lower class, so they effectively didn't have the right to attack like that, so there we'd be back with the social class explanation thing. (Or maybe Scyrr just puts more weight to actions than to words? But whatever, just a thought.) So back to speaking his mind openly, back then Scyrr considered it unjust that something like that had happened and the person wasn't punished, and so he did speak his mind aloud. That was sort of the basic core. It's not supposed to be any childishness, but the fact that whenever Scyrr considers something should be said (even though others might disagree) - and nobody seems to say it - he says it. So if it was taken this way, maybe you could still handle this trait in him?

(Take this as a dialogical contribution... maybe you will think of a way to incorporate this, or handle this in a bit different way and put it into the personality of Scyrr when writing for him.)

Then, just one physical thing... I have (and I think others did too) imagined Scyrr a bit older - perhaps around 25 or something like that. I certainly didn't think he would be a young unexperienced man, maybe sort of "mid-experienced" at least, but not any newbie when it comes to social contact. More like the opposite - if he has his own views on social contact, rather settled, and that's why it's hard for him to get used to any new or different ways.

Otherwise, basically agreed with all you have said. By the way, not sure if I understood right that you don't think Scyrr is too much muscular, if you wanted him to be, then I think the story about Erbrand is not necessarily denying that - because Erbrand was, actually, supposed to be a very strong man, so even if Scyrr was relatively strong, Erbrand just might have been even stronger. But if you want to have him like that, of course that's up to you - just saying that what is said does not dismiss the option.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories