View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 08:12 PM   #306
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
At first, Toby was completely befuddled. The more sinister fellow was now talking about him, saying things that moved too fast for him. The hobbit just looked at the man as he spoke, his unclean lower jaw hanging open rudely and gawking at the man. It took him a few very long moments for him to figure out what was happening. The man was trying to reach out to him for some mutual benefit. He knew that this man, one Snaveling by name, was under suspicion from many others of falsely accusing Valthalion of arson and stealing gold for himself. Snaveling had witnessed Toby’s unfortunate incident with the singed utensils earlier. Spending years as a knave of sorts, Toby managed to recognize the “play along or we’re both dead men” look shooting from Snaveling’s narrowed eyes at him.

Collecting himself as ceremoniously as possible, the hobbit turned to the others.
“This is true. He did sell me that purse. The gold is his.” He said firmly.
After another long moment, without the slightest noise from anyone, he continued. He thought quickly, formulating all the fictional legal complications of such a deal.

“You see, this man has a small plot of land set aside for him in the Southfarthing of the Shire. I, owning a considerable amount of land around Longbottom, offered to sell him this land. I made sure to find out whether he had the funds required to back such an offer and, I assure you, the purse is his. I saw it and its contents yesterday afternoon.” He turned back towards Snaveling, returning the familiar look, “And sir, it would be far too rude of me to accept the entire amount promised without me fulfilling my end of the bargain. I plan to procure more of the accessories you requested for your home so that the deal will not be void of meaning. I can have them for you within a fortnight, before you’ve moved in at least.”

Tobias hid the mild rush of satisfaction that came from spinning lies and nodded. He turned briefly back to the other two, Roa and Valthalion, with a more pleasant grin. He looked at Valthalion then, changing his pleasantry to a look of false dissaproval.
“Oh yes, I believe that would also clear up the unfortunate incident earlier. Those items you saw in my posession are, in fact, mine, and not stolen. This man saw me with them yesterday when we met, as I was peddling my wares, so to speak. He can attest to my ownership of those and the bag of gold you 'found' on my person recently. That should clear up any confusion about that unfortunate happenstance."

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies