View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #32
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

also since "mountains" is plural, In could me within the area encopassed by the mountains that is within the gerographic are in which the mountains are found. If "mountain" was singular, then "in" would mean "inside the mountain" but since it is plural, "in also covers on. It like saying "wildcats are found in the Scottish Highlands" doesnt literally mean that they live underground (though I think they do, in fact live in burrowed dens) it just means that if you are looking for Scottish wildcats, you should go to the Highlands area to find them. Thats enough of being pedantic.

On the warm blooded issue, as I said before somthing as big as a fell beast would pretty much have to be homeothermic which while not a trait of modern reptiles supposedly was found in some dinosaurs which seems to be closer to what fell best were anyway (dinosaur as far as I know are not tecnically cosidered to be reptiles, reptiles thier ancestral line had already diverged before dinosaurs ever evolved.) Dragons fit the dinosaurian form too so they are also likey homeothermic, especially the fire brething types (it would be a fine thin to have a dragon who could breathe fire and not be able to use this internal fire to keep its body temperature up (Tolkein, as I reacll says sepcifcally that fire brething dragons make thier fire inside of them not outside, so we ca leave aside all of the methane/hydrogen bioelectric spark ignition scenrios, which would get around this)
A bigger point in favor of homethermy; according to most evelutionary theories. homeothermic metabloison is more or less a neccessary prerequesite for the sucessful development of certain evoultionary traits, they just take up too much metabolic energy for poikilotherms. What are the two structures that lead this list? Wings and large brains, the possesion of which, given the fact that Dragons are sentient, intellegent creatures, capable of speech, seems more or less a given. Fell beasts are probably fairy large brained too given the fact that they are trainable as mounts (which requires a fairly complex set of commands to be learned.)
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote