View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #80
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
The very existence of a place which he cannot find must have made Morgoth even more determined to find and destroy the place, and when he does find it, he brings all his might to bear on it.
Hmmm...apparently you subscribe to the school of warfare that holds one should fight one's wars with an eye toward making happy and accommodating one's enemies. I'm afraid I don't agree with that.

Quote:
The Elves who lived there, who included a great number of Sindar, were incredibly vulnerable.
Which is exactly why secrecy was so vitally important.

Quote:
it only took one single person to dissent
The way you talk about her implies too much nobility to her motives. To hear you speak, it almost sounds like you think she was some brave political activist engaged in a life-and-death struggle attempting to overthrow the cruel regime of Comrade Stalgon. This was not the case at all. She was a silly, empty-headed little nitwit who had no higher aspiration than to go a-Maying at the most inopportune moments.

Quote:
the Dwarves seem to accord him with a great deal of respect
Eol was probably a very useful spy. I don't know if that is exactly the same thing as respect.

Quote:
I have no doubt that what is paramount in his mind is keeping Gondolin safe and not trying to assess the situation.
The security of Gondolin meant that there was nothing to assess. Some things are non-negotiable. Turgon politely informed Eol of this at the beginning. Try to think of it as Turgon extending a courtesy rather than giving an order.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 02-25-2006 at 05:38 PM. Reason: The thread flows swiftly...
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote