View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 01:06 PM   #38
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield ROHAN: Liornung

Liornung frowned at Ędegard's proposal and shook his head. "None of this whooping and hollering now," he said, a hint of sharpness in his voice. "Good Master Secgrof sent me to help this blacksmith, not frighten him to death. I agree to surround him, but we will not cause any trouble for him."

A defiant frown came to Ędegard's face, but Liornung gazed into his eyes, undaunted. Liornung rarely exerted authority over others, but he was quite stubborn in this point. He thought it would be easiest to frighten the blacksmith so much that he could not run, but how was he to write the song of it for Old Secgrof without blushing with shame.

"Master Liornung." Ędegard's voice was tense and full of anger though he restrained it admirably. "I would bid you remember what I spoke before. I am in agreement with you. If you recall I said I did not wish to startle the blacksmith with loud shouts." A dangerous flicker came to Ędegard's eyes, but Liornung's face immediately softened.

"My good Ędegard, a habit I accumulated during my lonely wanderings of talking to myself. I think you suggestion is a most admirable one. My mind, however, was inclined to scare the blacksmith so much that he could not move, and it was myself that I reproved just now, not you." He blushed a deep crimson and hung his head. "I will keep a closer guard on my tongue, and so I hope my mind, from now on. Please forgive the misunderstanding and let us proceed with your plan."

Ędegard nodded in satisfaction, but a scowl remained on his face as he urged his horse on. Liornung let his bay fall in stride with Bellyn's steed and he sighed deeply. "Miss Bellyn, I fear the impression I make upon Master Ędegard grows worse and worse. I must watch myself most carefully. I'm not alone anymore." And again he sighed most bitterly.

"Master Liornung," Bellyn said, her voice slow, almost in a manner that her voice was uncertain though it rang with confidence, "if you should have looked in Ędegard's eyes I believe you would have seen what I did. I think he admired that humble confession and apology whatever else he may think of you. Don't give up hope."

"I," said Liornung most firmly, "never give up hope." And, all his good humor restored, he winked at Bellyn and moved his horse alongside of Ędegard's as they closed in on the blacksmith.