View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Elven Rings and the Silmarils

I've had a busy day on the barrow downs forum, I must say. This is the first time I've really sat down and tried to discuss the books from a variety of angles with my peers. Its quite fun. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But on to the meat of this post.

I noticed that the three Elven Rings, Vilya, Narya, and Nenya have similar themes to the whereabouts of the Silmarils: Air (Vilya), Fire (Narya), and Water (Nenya). One Silmaril is in the heavens with Earendil (air), one was thrown into a gaping molten chasm (fire) and one was tossed into the sea (water), is it possible that the Three Rings in some way draw their power from the Silmarils? After all, Celebrimbor is descended from Feanor, being the son of Curufin and the grandson of Feanor, forger of the Silmarils. Celebrimbor was the chief in the creation of the Three Rings.

Since the light of Laurelin and Telperion which was captured in the Silmarils and the Rings of the Elf-lords share similar virtues is it not possible to believe that somehow, Celebrimbor drew power (literally, or at least in virtue of thought) from the Silmarils when he forged the Three Rings?