View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 12:50 AM   #19
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
The elves of the latter days of the third age had not the power of their previous lords, thats why nothing "new" (equal to the rings) has been created since. It is my opinion that the rings drew their power from arda itself.
Was it not Sauron in his guise as Annatar, Lord of Gifts, who taught the Elves of Eregion the craft of making the Rings of Power? I would tend to think that the power does come from Arda itself, but also that it is fragmented and channelled; after all, how would Celebrimbor imbue each of the Three with different elemental characteristics? I think it is Sauron's craft technique that enables the Rings to exhibit their "power" but also that makes them subject to the One, which is forged with much greater directed power, being a good half of Sauron's being, I think. Thus Celebrimbor uses a neutral technique that he understands basically but Sauron uses the same technique to overpower the lesser Rings of Power with the One. When I think about it in this way, it sounds much more like sorcery, the forcing of a single will or wills onto the ordering of nature. A late night theory of my own, anyway, and I suppose it doesn't have anything to do with the Silmarils--I think they got their power from their creator and his medium, and they were simply powerful symbols or tokens reflecting the creative fire of Fëanor and the long remembered Light of the Two Trees. More a link to the source of remembered bliss than an expression of willful power, almost wistful for those who do not actively pursue them.... Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote