View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #25
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Any of the smart people on here, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Silmarilli burned the hands of those who were unclean. Thus, Morgoth because he was evil, and Maedhros and Maglor because they were corrupted by their Oath and the actions that they had taken to attempt to fulfill that Oath, not because they did not belong to the brothers. (By rights of inheritance, after all, the Silmarils did belong to them, didn't they? Or did they forfeit that by all the wicked deeds between?)

The One Ring burned Isildur, if my memory serves, because it was still hot from Sauron's hand. If it burned those 'to whom it did not belong,' then wouldn't it have burned Gollum and Deagol and Bilbo and Frodo and Sam?

But as for that, I believe that the One and the Three were a different issue--I can't recall any instance of one of the Three falling into the hands of someone to whom they did not belong, but that might simply be because I have not read everything out there yet. I'm working on it, though.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote