View Single Post
Old 04-24-2002, 08:01 AM   #126
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but is "draug" an elvish name for wolf? Wolf-poison seems un-Tolkienish to me somehow, but I might have missed something. If Celebruian is trudging through sludge, she's in the marshes near the stream that runs into the Long Lake. Is athelas bitter? Or is it minty fresh? (You could probably start an entire thread with that question!) I suspect that this post is something recycled from another story, but it is good reading, nonetheless.
Maybe she could be allowed to join if the dwarves and hobbit(s) of our story were to find and rescue her. Her post would then have to be slightly edited to fit the story. Of course that is if everyone agrees. (but then, how many times will you allow this to happen Gil? still... it is a pretty good post)

I seem to recall that athelas had a "minty characteristic" to it. I don't recall that athelas was ever taken orally, though. It was crushed often, if I'm not mistaken, before it was applied to the injury. (Aragorn chewed it, then applied it to his comrades in LOTR, I think that counts as crushing it). Isn't their any other herb in ME other than athelas - I'm fighting the urge to giving a lecture on herbology already. Different herbs, different poultice for different ails... okay, athelas does have a wide range of uses/cures in ME.

I can't recall the "draug"... I think they're sort of werewolves or demonwolves, akin(?) to Carcharoth - I've got to check that one out. Wargs are most often mentioned. I don't think they (draug) are the wolf-riders either.

Sheez, this is one long post [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]