View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I dunno, I think I did remember Lotho way back when, but then I have an uncanny memory for names (as long as they're real, proper characters in a book, preferably Elvish, and not something absurd like remote in-laws, neighbours down the street or colleagues from another department). I suppose it helps that his name is just his parents' names squeezed together, and since Lobelia left a pretty memorable impression I just filed him as "Sackville-Baggins, The Next Generation". That's pretty much all he is, more an extension of his parents' combined unagreeability (is that a word?) than a character in his own right.

I had a vague hope that Lotho might have been mentioned in Flotsam and Jetsam when the hobbits discuss their find of Shire tobacco in Isengard, but no such luck. Would have been a nice opportunity to foreshadow Lotho's part. Could there have been something in the drafts which got revised out in the final version? Oh for a copy of HoME VIII...