View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 05:53 AM   #247
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Thorn and Narika

As they headed back to the flocks together Thorn looked up to see a bird flying swiftly from out of the north. Straight it flew, and directly for the sprawling herds of the Eagle clan, dripping it wings to circle over the heads of Thorn and Narayad before moving on further south. Thorn could see that it was searching for Narika among the foraging herds she viewed. And when it described another slow circle gently descending to the land, Thorn quickly took leave of Narayad telling him to go and refresh himself after his long ride.

Pulling the horse’s reins sharply, he urged his mount away toward the southeast, springing into a gallop across the land. Thorn, keeping his eyes trained to the spot where he saw the messenger alight, arrived just as Narika was readying a horse, to ride out to him. The young messenger still standing at her side, as well as a herdsman with downcast expression.

“Thorn,” she called to him with a clear voice as he rode up. “Ráma has arrived from Umbar and not a moment too soon. She bids us to make haste and return to the encampment, for my mother feels she is soon to be released from the bonds of this world, and I wish to be at her side. We must not delay.”

“You are right,” he said with sinking heart. “Yet we also should not take to the air together so that any might take note of the unusual sight. But go now Narika and fly swiftly. Give me but a little time, perhaps a quarter hour, and I will follow in your path.”