View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 06:19 PM   #245
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eruvalde

It was a big common room for such a small girl to be in, all by herself.

Her father had gone off to see what help he could provide, leaving Eruvalde to her own devices. And about time, she thought: she was five years old, after all, not a child. Her mother hadn't treated her like a child.

The thought of her mother gave Eruvalde a moment's pause. She had been so sure that her father had told her that they were going to Momma's house, but Momma wasn't here. Oh, well, the girl thought, she'll meet us here. There was a whole inn to explore, and Eruvalde wasn't planning on missing so much as a square inch.

She walked among the people who were eating, getting more than one pat on the head and exclamation of what a lovely girl she was. She smiled politely and allowed them to muss her hair, though it rather irritated her. What did they think she was, a baby doll? Once they were done she smoothed her hair regally, bristling a little at the laughs that followed her motion. Adults. They could be so immature sometimes.

She tried striking up conversations with some of the other adults in the inn, but they all seemed busy and had no time to talk to her. Disappointed and frustrated, she put her hands on her hips and went off to the other side of the room.

She stopped when she heard music. She went over to the source, her head tilted, her steps long but quiet. She saw a fiddler and a young girl, probably not much older than herself, singing along. She smiled a little, hesitantly, and approached. She twirled her hair around her finger, not sure whether or not she should interrupt. The music was pretty, bright and cheerful, and it made Eruvalde want to dance. But instead she sat a little ways away, and listened.