View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Well after saying how you can get books owned by Tolkien or his family, it's come true. davem was after a set of Gibbons' The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire after enjoying the easily available abridged version; he was looking at a full set of paperbacks in Blackwell's in Oxford but didn't buy them. We since found out that a dealer had a set which came from Michael Tolkien's library, and he's bought them. They are a lovely set of books, and they will not just be put on a shelf but will be read and enjoyed. They were actually bought by Tolkien himself and given as a birthday gift to his son - they have bookplates in each volume.

I find it a bit weird to hold books that had been bought by Tolkien, books he'd chosen and handled. Looking at the bookplates it struck me how Tolkien was not just a mythic name, a personality to be dissected, he was as real a person as I am. He'd also leafed through the very same pages...Kind of a spooky sensation...