View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #1271
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Also, I– ahem!– do hope you're not referring to my recent game as part of the "decline"?
Apologies if I've left that impression. My post wasn't intended as any negativity towards anyone or any game. It was my general feelings and inability to understand the feelings of the majority. I simply don't get why we should feel like if there's something imbalanced, we need to "fix" it and even it out.

Maybe with the number of gifteds this particular game did put the wolves at a disadvantage, but it wasn't an unforgivably, impossible imbalance, at the start. The reason the wolves got severely behind wasn't due to any "unfair" play. It was because the ranger stopped one of their kills, they then killed the hunter who made a correct guess (you saw Lottie's PM, she wasn't sure about her choice, it just happened to be Hera), and the seer dreamt of another one. They didn't get in that position because the game was imbalanced, they got there because of the play of the village. It's not any attack about the merits of the wolves, the fact is we've all played this game have good and bad games, no one needs to prove themselves here. But the wolves got quickly behind not because of a game imbalance, but because the events that unfolded.

Let me ask this, in this idea that we need to fix out all the imbalances. How was what happened fair to Tum? I don't mean to put anyone on the spot, tum probably really doesn't care, I don't know. But she was the seer, she did what she was supposed to she did her job. How is it fair to her that her own side punishes her for doing what she's supposed to do and has to be told "sorry, you're gone."

Or let's say this. I think a village with 3 wolves and a seer as gifted, the wolves actually start with a pretty good advantage. However, this seems to be generally accepted as a "balanced" game, so I'll say yes that's a balanced game. Now, Nerwen, what if the wolves are you phantom, and Fea, and the seer is a first-time seer? Is that still so even? And lets say the seer makes a slip that you catch, at night you alert your packmates, and first kill is the seer. Now, lets say next night, your packmates say to you, you know what we're such an awesome team we already started out at an advantage, their only gifteds gone...Nerwen we're going to kill you because this games so uneven now and we should balance this out. Would you think that's fair? But hey, it's for the sake of balance, so it has to be right?

I hope you can at least understand my position here. Try as we might, every game is going to skew things to favor one side. It's not our job to try to balance it out, it's our job to play the roles we're given. Should be that simple at least, because I'm not going to start thinking I should start holding back out of fear that performing the role that's given to me will unbalance the game and then I face retaliation from people who are supposed to be on my own team.

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-16-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote