View Single Post
Old 09-25-2002, 09:35 PM   #38
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

******Shire******

The day dawned bright and clear. Hardo looked around and thought sourly, Oh, it's going to be a hot one today. Just perfect for leaving home for who knows how long. He sighed and went back inside to repack his few belongings. To his great disgust, the others all seemed very excited, even eager, to be off.

Around midmorning, Sam called the four of them together for the last time. They were all packed and ready to go, and Sam wanted to give a speech. Hardo wasn't surprised. He was a natural politician and politicians always wanted to make speeches.

"well, lads," Sam began, "Today's the day! Today you set off on the mission of your lives!" Hardo snorted at such empty-headed enthusiam. Odo and Orlo were all but cheering aloud, and Brando seemed distracted. He just wanted to leave as soon as possible. Sam continued, "I wish I was goin with you lads. I wish I could go and see Lord Strider again, but I can't, so all i can say is, enjoy yourselves! This is a journey you'll never forget!" At this, Odo and Orlo did cheer, and even Brando looked excited. Finally, though, Sam fisnished his speech and the four travellers mounted their ponies and set off down the road toward Bywater and beyond that, Bree and Rivendell and eventually Gondor itself. Despite himself, Hardo felt the contagious enthusiasm of the younger hobbits. This may be a stupid, pointless mission, but at least it would be a change from his ordinary life.