View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #312
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Lilly has just left Hobbiton.
There had not been much sorrow passed through Taffy’s life. His brief eleven years had so far been happy ones. And the song he’d sung, the one he’d learned from his granpa, was only sad to because it made his granpa sad. His granpa's wrinkly face would settle into deeper furrows, and his eyes grow misty when he sang it.

He’d asked his granpa once what it was that made him so sad. The old man had shook his head, swiped at his eyes with his sleeve, and then mustered a smile at Taffy. ‘No need to be worrying over your old granpa’s weepy ways, my boy. When you get as old as I am sometimes you remember some things that happened long ago, not all of them sad in them selves, mind you. Sometimes they’re just good things that happened or good people that came into your life and now are gone forever.’ He’d ruffled Taffy’s hair and given him a firmer smile, the boy remembered. ‘Right now you’re just making those memories. Life is good and happy, and that’s the way it should be for you.’

Taffy looked at his parents. They sat very quiet at the end of the Elf’s song. His mother had that glisten in his eye and his father bore a sort of faraway and thoughtful look. This was to be expected he reasoned, them being so much older than he.

Now Taffy did feel a certain sort of sadness from the Elves’ song, enhanced somewhat by his parents’ apparent sorrowful demeanor. He wondered, though, that someone as young as Cir appeared could sing something so sad.

‘Pardon me,’ he said, drawing near to where the Elves stood. ‘I liked that very much. It was really pretty. And seemed very sad, just like you said.’ He made a wry face, his mouth in a small moue. ‘But what was it you were so sad about? Did you lose someone in your family. Or a friend?’