View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #442
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Lithor

“It would be a shame not to admire our work after having just completed it; therefore, we will stay here and wait.” He smiled and gave a handsome bow as Modtryth left. He was feeling very ceremonious and formal in his best armor.

Balvir was sitting trying to rub off some green and brow stains on his sword. “Too bad you stained your sword, Balvir.” Matrim said, “Still, it got the job done, didn’t it?”

“A hatchet would have done just as well!”

"All the hatchets are back across the Scar, we wouldn’t have been half done if I had to run and fetch them.”

“It still beats me looking like a jester in mock play!”

“Best stick the sword in its scabbard,” Lithor sat down opposite of Balivir, “You may carry the the banner of the hall, Matrim and I will handle the pomp. It won’t be too long now.”

Matrim and Balvir looked saddened at the remark. Although they were not of Eodwine’s household, they still felt as if they were. The lord had often shown kindness to them, and they all enjoyed his occasional vulgar sense of humor and manner when nobody, but themselves, were around. Eodwine knew how to be a lord, a soldier, and a gentlemen all at once.

“This wedding will be more like losing a brother than anything else.” Said Matrim as he dug the ground with his foot. “He’ll change, they all change once they are married.”

“Don’t speak of such things!” Lithor frowned as he spoke. “This wedding is to be a merry occasion and I won’t have it ruined before it begins. Besides,” he chuckled and rubbed his chin, “We still have Thornden!” Balvir gave a snort and then broke into a mild laugh.

“I’ll drink to that. We’ve lost lord Eodwine, but we’ll keep Thornden single if it kills us!”

Erbrand

Such a wonder had never been unfolded before his eyes! The ring was a simple trick, one that any skilled trickster could have pulled off; however, the blossoming flower was true magic. Erbrand stared in wonder at the white peddled flower and then looked down at his opened hand to reveal the ring which Eodwemer gave him-the gold was as yellow and pure as the heart of the daisy that had blossomed in front of him. Erbrand twirled the ring in his fingers and then quickly closed his fingers around it. This was a very unproper thing for any man to do. His eyes flashed with jealous anger at the old wizard for having acted upon a hasty assumption; even if it was true, it was none of the old man’s business. Erbrand wanted to give the ring back-it was frightening to hold something that did not come about naturally-but he feared the wizards response if he did so.

“I expect that you shall be conducting the ceremony tonight with lord Eodwine?”

Eodwemer nodded contently. He didn’t seem to mind the silence; however, Erbrand noticed that Eodwemer’s and Kara’s eyes met several times in the pause. It made Erbrand feeling angry, jealous, and frightened at the same time, all adding up to one huge sick feeling. He wished that he would have minded his own business in the first place and left this queer stranger alone.

He felt his hand unconsciously slip from Kara’s and fall to his side. Erbrand immediately came back to his senses and started to reach for Kara’s arm again, but his good sense stopped him from confirming the wizard’s assumption by doing so. His hand didn’t continue the journey to Kara and fell back to his side.

The ring slid from his fingers and into his pocket. Perhaps I will have need of this later, but not for the present. Besides, these wizards are peculiar folk. I bet he wouldn’t think twice about torching me or turning me into a rabbit if it amused him, better accept his gifts and stay out of his way. Erbrand bowed slightly to Eodwemer and then turned to Kara.

“I think we will be of more help elsewhere. Frodides will need your help and Lithor will need mine.” Erbrand spoke in a whisper, afraid that the wizard might overhear him. His fear of the wizard was naive, showing how little he knew of wizards, but he did not like his prying manner. He showed authority and unnatural power that frightened Erbrand.

“It was a pleasure speaking to you, Eodwemer (even though it was not), and we will see you at the ceremony.” They both bowed (Erbrand bowed as low as he dared to show respect, and to quell any ill feelings that the wizard might have with him) and left.

Erbrand spoke after a while. “I haven’t forgotten about tonight, but I must go now. Lithor is expecting me to help with the festivities.” He lied, but he did feel a need to separate himself from Kara for the moment, just for the moment. “I will be back for that dance.” He smiled and gave her a wink before going.

Erbrand left her feeling the same sick combination of emotions. He kept telling himself that she would understand his need to get away, but to no avail-she was too sharp to guess wrong. The more Erbrand told himself that he didn’t need Kara, the greater the emptiness he felt in his soul. He slipped his hand into his pocket and picked up the ring.