Old 11-03-2003, 05:51 AM   #41
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eurytus,

Re:
Quote:
Would a hobbit write such text? I doubt it, especially when there was no hint of such language being used in FOTR. And it is no use saying that the hobbits have grown and hence use this language by ROTK. They were not writing the book as a diary as it happened. They were writing it years later, hence there is no conceivable reason why Frodo would change his style so greatly within the same book.
Here’s my 2 cents on the basis of the red book of westmarch being written by characters from the book itself.

I would say the book was mainly written by 3 authors:

Bilbo
Frodo
Sam

They would all have different types of writing styles.

I would vouch for Bilbo in that his style could be appropriated to the quote you mention above. ie "Great was the clash of their meeting" (which is perfectly good English by the way). Bilbo spent a lot of his time translating from elvish into the common tounge, so may have been influenced from there.

Frodo could at least speak a smattering of Elvish, and again could have been influenced to a lesser extent by this.

Sam could have written the first couple of chapters which I concede do have a different style than the rest of the book. (ie mentioning the fox, for example…)

The book was then handed down by Sam to his daughter before he went across the Sundering Sea. Further updates to the book took place over at least the next 60 years by the Fairbairns.

Different authors have different styles. Why can’t a particular hobbit write in the stylized language of ROTK?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote